Sunday, October 14, 2012

Be FEARLESS!


Be Fearless! 

These past couple weeks, I have been doing a lot of sitting back a listening; listening to God. People usually ask me “what has God been saying to you lately", or "what has He been teaching you?” and I never knew how to answer because I wasn’t listening for Him.

A few weekends ago, I went to a restore retreat at Teen Haven Camp; I work at Teen Haven. I was a little nervous at first, because I am not an outgoing person. I slowly talked to a few people there and became comfortable. We played some awesome games and had a great time. 


While eating dinner on Saturday night, a lady named Diana was sitting next to me. The conversation started small, with little chats about “how are you” and “what do you like to do”. Then, sooner than later, the conversation progressed. We started talking about fears. She mentioned how she liked getting up in front of groups and talking to people and just being outgoing. She continued by asking me what I liked to do and I told her that what she liked to do are my fears. After I mentioned that, she talked to me about being fearless. She talked about how I shouldn’t be afraid to voice my opinion and worry about what others think about me. We also talked about how I shouldn’t let what others think and say effect what I think and say. The basics of the conversation were about trying to find out who I am in Christ and letting God take control.



Let Go(d). Be FEARLESS! 


A few days later, I went on a walk with Chanea; I work with her. She decided that since I wouldn’t talk to her, she would step up and ask me to go on a walk. At first, I was a little shy and didn’t know what to say. She kept asking me questions to get me to open up. Half way through the walk, I became a little more comfortable and opened up more. We got to the topic about what I like to do, and again I said that I wasn’t a big fan of getting in front of people and talking in groups. She followed that up by asking why. This caught me off guard a little bit because I didn’t really know how to answer that question. I guess I never really had to think of a reason for being shy, I just always was. She finally got me to answer the question. I responded with “I don’t like stepping out of my comfort zone” and “I stay in my safe box”. The conversation continued by going into details about how I need to “step out” and do something that makes me “comfortably uncomfortable”. I then told her that while I was at Mission Year, I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and just open up as a person. I wanted to be able to do anything with out thinking I would be judged or be too afraid. I didn’t want to be known at the girls who never talks. After all that, she asked me if I could make a list of my fears to overcome during the year. Making the list made me realize how many things, little or big, I am too afraid to do and gave me motivation to start stepping up, stepping out, and being fearless.


No comments:

Post a Comment